Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Summer Highlights-a Funeral

 
sisters and cousins

This August my Dad's first cousin Kirk Anderson died.  We were all really sad.  He was my Dad's age and he wasn't sick.  The upside to this was that Holly, my parents and I all went on a little rode trip to Boise, ID and met Kiran to go to the funeral.  At the risk of sounding disrespectful, we had the best time. I love my family with every fiber of my being, there is no group of people I'd rather be with on the planet with than them.  They are the kindest people in the world to me, they don't judge me, the love me, and they make me laugh not until I cry, but until I can't breath.  So to go to a funeral not just with my family, but with a chapel full of my family, I was kind of elated.  It was wonderful.  The funeral was beautiful, funny,  jokes told by everyone, laughter everywhere.  Afterwords we went out to lunch with more extended family and they too were the most kind thoughtful caring people you ever want to meet.  I love family. 

After the funeral I got to spend the rest of the weekend with my Mom, Dad and Sisters.  It was a nice break.  Right before I left Spencer said to me, "Aren't you going to pack some snacks for the trip?" I said "No, I'm not the Mom on this trip, I'm the daughter and younger sister, you have no idea how good that feels, how relaxing." and with Spencer being gone so much I needed the break from packing other people's snacks.

The drive to Boise is about 7 -8 hours.  Holly and I rented 3 movies, we didn't watch 1, all of us talked the whole time. That's an Anderson trait. When we arrived home in about 7 hours I was disappointed and thinking "I was promised an 8 hour drive, circle around the neighborhood Mom!" I'm not ready to be the Mom again.

I can't stress this point to strongly, I love my family and don't know what life would be like without them.


 
We spent 2 hours in this thrift store shopping,
my poor kids got plenty of back to school clothes there:)
 
Boise,ID neighborhoods have mini-libraries right in the middle of the houses. How cute.

 
This is my grandfathers old store.He fit people for prosthetic limbs.






 
This is what I want for my next birthday.

 
This is the cemetery where my grandparents are buried.

 
 

 
Mom's Brother Joe.

2 comments:

JAG said...

yes....at the risk of sounding disrespectful too, it was one of the highlights of my summer!

Jennifer said...

You know, I totally understand how you feel. When my grandma passed away a few years ago, ALL of her 7 children and I think 25 of her 28 grandchildren were there. And really, it was awesome. The "party" that kind of happens when the family gets together like that, even at a funeral, I think IS appropriate because you're appreciating and LOVING your family so much. And really, that's what it's all about. I'm glad you didn't pack any snacks, either. That kind of freedom should be basked in.