Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Highlights and Lowlights

Portland Temple
December 20th 2001





It's how I like my hair color and my marriage, lots of highlights and just a few lowlights. On Sunday we will have been married for 8, count'em 8 years! The first 4 were slow going, but now that the kids are in school the time has just flown by.
Here are just a few of the high-lights and low-lights


high-light
-my wedding dress
low -light
-the stress of a wedding



high-light
-finding out we were having a baby
low -light
-giving birth


high-light
-finding out the gender of the baby
low -light
-adjusting to a new baby, seriously, we have had some of the weirdest fights in a sleep deprived state in the middle of the night.


high-light
-the kids getting older
low -light
-the kids getting older


high-lights
-more money
low lights
-more problems


high-light
-Spencer gets better looking and smarter with age
low -light
-I'm not sure I do.


high-light

-more dates, babysitters and hopefully more vacation
low-lights
-there is no down side to this



low-lights
-having a stroke
high-lights
-having a husband who eagerly and gently takes care of a stoke patient
high-lights
-sharing a blanket and watching Lost
-always having a buddy
-always having my bed warm
-going out to breakfast Thanksgiving morning
-Christmas Eve with him
-when I hear his keys unlock the door at night
-not having to take out the garbage, pay the bills or lock up every night
-never having to change a light bulb or call a plumber
-when he bought me a car
-going to Philadelphia with him
-sitting next to him in Sunday School, (all kids are in nursery or above, yea!)
- Valentines Day
I am sure there are a million more that I will keep wanting to add, but for now these will do.
Some of my favorite marriage quotes


"Choose wisely, live kindly" - Dr. Laura


"It's not lack of love, but lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages" -Friedrich Neitzsche



"Someone asked me why women don't gamble as much as men do and I gave them the commonsensical reply that we don't have as much money. That was a true and incomplete answer. In fact, women's total instinct for gambling is satisfied by marriage" -Gloria Steinem



"My husband and I have never considered divorce...., murder sometimes, but never divorce." -Joyce Brothers


"After all these years, I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning, it is better to live outside that garden with her than live inside it without her."

- Mark Twain, from Adam in Adam's Diary


"The goal in a marriage is not to think alike, but to think together" - Robert C. Dodds



"There is no secret to marriage, you just commit and then do it"- Holly


"True love is not so much a matter of romance as it is a matter of anxious concern for the well being of one's companion" - President Gordon Bitner Hinckley


-"Affection is responsible for nine tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives" C. S. Lewis



-There are two kinds of people: those who say to GOD, "thy will be done", and those to whom GOD says "All right, have it your way""-C. S. Lewis (I know this has nothing to do with marriage, but this quote makes me laugh.

4 comments:

JAG said...

smart witty funny

happy anniversary!

Nathan and Sarah said...

Happy Anniversary. And your dress is most definately a high light! So gorgeous!

Becky said...

What a great post! You and Spencer look like Ken and Barbie (in a good way) in your marriage pics.

Mark and Karen said...

This post is great! I too love your princess dress. My own dress was a definite low light.

As usual, I love all your quotes, especial the last CS Lewis one. He was one smart man!

Happy Anniversary!